Thursday, July 19, 2007

Eight Facts Meme

Yes, my friends, I've been tagged with the Eight Facts About You meme. Let's, uh, just get this over with as quickly and painlessly as possible.
The Rules:

Each player lists 8 facts/habits about themselves.The rules of the game are posted at the beginning before those facts/habits are listed. At the end of the post, the player then tags 8 people and posts their names, then goes to their blogs and leaves them a comment, letting them know that they have been tagged.

....|

Growing up, stegosaurus was never my favorite dinosaur.

...|.

Dinosaurs? What? Oh yeah, until I was in like 6th grade or so, I wanted to be a paleontologist when I grew up.

...||

I recently started riding my bicycle again. On Sunday I rode across the GWB and back, and then down to the Upper West Side and back. On Monday I biked down to Teaneck... but I didn't bike back, because there's a steep rise from about 50 feet above sea level in Teaneck to 300 feet above sea level at the top of the Palisades. So I got a ride back up to Fort Lee and biked back across the bridge into Manhattan.

..|..

Although I can't stand many 'normal' foods, such as cucumber, tomatoes, and eggplant, I experiment with what some people consider strange combinations, such as diced cheddar cheese in applesauce, chulent and chocolate cake, and putting cocoa powder in chili cholent.

..|.|

"Good shabbos" in Irish is Sabóid shona duit [=more or less 'sah-bawdj hunna ditch'] (to one person) or Sabóid shona daoibh [='...deev'] (to many people). Or you could conceivably just say Seabbath seálóm.

..||.

I prefer baggy pants. They're more comfortable, and more tzniusdic. But they don't go so well with a tie and a jacket.

..|||

Once upon a time, some friends and I were in a car accident at the intersection of interstates 80 and 280 in New Jersey. We had to wait at the tow truck place in Parsippany, NJ, for a special tow truck to come and bring the car back to Brooklyn.
The friend whose car it was was crying on her cellphone to her parents in Hebrew, because they're Israeli, and when she hung up, the guy who runs the tow truck place asked her if she was speaking Hebrew. It turns out that he once dated a woman in Brooklyn, and so he thought the language souded familiar.
Then he asked my friend if she's Jewish, and she said "uh, yes..." not quite sure where this was going. And then he looked around at the rest of us, and asked if we're all Jewish too, to which the answer was also "yes..."
Then he looked at me. I was wearing a baseball cap or something. He then said, "But you're not Jewish, right? You look like a redneck!"
And that's how a tow truck guy in Parsippany, NJ, dubbed me a redneck.
And inspired me to go out and buy camouflage-colored earmuffs.

.|...

I count on my fingers in binary. It's very convenient to be able to count up to 31 on one hand instead of being limited to just 5.

24 Comments:

Blogger Heccy said...

I ALWAYS put unsweetened cocoa powder in my chilis together with a dash of cinnamon and it works wonders. I also add a dash of nutmeg to my risottos but thats another show.

7/19/2007 8:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, so that's what that numbering system was. All through the post, I had been trying to figure it out. (I still don't know why you included all the leading zeros, though.) At first, I had thought it was some strange representation of a Hhanukiya.

7/19/2007 8:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The chef at here at camp also puts cocoa powder in his chili. Myself, I just don't like chili, but that's another story.

7/19/2007 8:46 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

There are only 10 types of people in this world: those who khop binary and those who don't.

---- - -----

Striking out in binary:
“One.”
“Ten.”
“Yer out!”

7/19/2007 8:49 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

heccy:

i don't even know what risotto is :-P

mar gavriel:

i have represented hhanukiyas with similar diagrams

debka:

the chilis are sad :-(

the back:

WRONG!
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who think it's binary.
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand quarternary, those who don't, those who think it's ternary, and those who think it's binary.
there are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand quinary...
;-)

7/19/2007 9:33 PM  
Blogger Heccy said...

A risotto is a wonderful italian dish where you take advantage of certain strains of rice's ability to shed copious amounts of its starch to make something so ridiculously creamy that you just wanna plotz. Point is: when youre making it (and you should try to make it) add nutmeg at the end, when you add the butter and parmesan cheese.

7/19/2007 11:14 PM  
Blogger Phillip Minden said...

There are just two important rules in life, son:

1. Don't tell everything you know.

7/20/2007 4:09 AM  
Blogger Phillip Minden said...

But more seriously, you must have an excellent command of your fingers and be able to move each freely and separately. And counting 4 might get you into trouble.

7/20/2007 4:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

5 in binary is 101, not 31.

7/20/2007 6:29 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Heccy:

ah, uh, okay... plotz someplace else, then, please :-P

Lipman:

2. You do not talk about Fight Club?

Well, it takes a bit of practice... i've been doing it for about 10 years already. You think counting 4 might get you in trouble? Try 132!

Mike S.:

Exactly. Usually, people can only count on their fingers up to 5, because that's the number of fingers they have.
In Binary, on the other hand, you have five digits = fingers, each of which can be 1 (extended) or 0 (curled)... so you can go up to 11111 (=31)

7/20/2007 8:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

18! 18! rock on! 18!

7/20/2007 10:24 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Brother:

well, yeah, of course... why do you think מודים is the 18th blessing of שמונה־עשרה? and שלום is the 19th?

7/20/2007 10:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude-- the 19th is ברכת כהנים.

[sings:] attòb scimkhà ulekhà na-e le-odo-o-o-o-òd....

ko-a-nim

ngam kedoscekha -- barukh attà [eccetera]

7/22/2007 12:20 PM  
Blogger thanbo said...

No, the 19th is "eth ssemahh dawwidh" which was split out from the previous one in Bavel. It doesn't exist in the old nussahh Eress Yisra'el. See Jacobson's "Nethiv Binah".

"never trust anyone who can count to 1024 on their fingers."

eggplant, tomato, cucumber. The first two are nightshades, but cucumber isn't. Or is it just an aversion to things with a lot of little seeds?

7/23/2007 3:52 PM  
Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said...

What's a "meme"????

And how do you 'tag' someone? How can you play tag on the internet?

Steg, you listen to Horslips? (or you learnt Celitc from Tolkien?)

7/23/2007 5:53 PM  
Blogger Jacob Da Jew said...

Keep on riding that bike!

What model do you ride?

7/23/2007 6:37 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

thanbo:

i was counting synchronically, not in order of establishment. :-P

the eggplant is a taste thing; tomato and cucumber are partially taste and a lot about the sliminess+seeds texture.

yahoo:

Internet meme

I learned Irish [Gaelic] (=Gaeilge) in college, of course. one semester's worth of Irish Language and Culture. unfortunately i missed the music day, since it was on yontef. But i read a few translated accounts of the Famine and some really great examples of the caoine (pronounced keenya) genre. appropriately enough for tonight, 'caoine' means קינה

7/23/2007 6:39 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Jacob:

it's about 10-15 years old, and the writing on the side is somewhat rubbed off, but it looks like a Roadmaster Coyote Pass if that means anything.

7/23/2007 6:55 PM  
Blogger Jewish Deaf Motorcycling Dad said...

Since I'm familiar with binary numbering, I was practicing counting to 31 on one hand today. My wife asked what I was doing, so I told her about it. She then started counting up to 100 on one hand... in sign language you can count up to 999 before you need the second hand to sign 1000. Talk about deflating my ego!

7/23/2007 7:54 PM  
Blogger ADDeRabbi said...

i also count in binary. w/ 2 hands, giving me 1023.
and then you know what it means to give someone the ol' 132

7/24/2007 11:16 PM  
Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said...

You callin' me a yahoo? Maybe you see yourself as a Houyhnhnm, but I sure ain't no yahoo. Can you spell Yehu Ben Yehoshaphat Ben Nimshi? :-)))

Incidentally I used to drive thru the 287/80/280 intersection to work. Once I broke down a little b/f x 42 on 287 and was picked up by a parsippany mechanic. He told me something very funny which I can not repeat here - basically that women and cars just cause problems...

7/25/2007 3:18 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

yumpin' yehoshafat!

7/25/2007 4:24 PM  
Blogger J. "יהוא בן יהושפט בן נמשי" Izrael said...

Speakin of Garelic...

How do they write the "Y" sound (as in Yehoshafat)? Is the English "J" a Normanization or a Gaelic vestige? If the former is the case it would explain why ArtScroll (and the Goyische Bibels) spell 'em all with J a-la German.

Which brings me to think that after all you might as well be wrong regarding Susie Q. IIRC the Gaelic "C" always remain K -as in Celebron- even before a vowel. So Kuf would transliterate into K, Cof into C -even b/f vowels, as in elfish selfish shellfish- and Chof would be "Ch" (or CH), this time losing the Irish connection in favour of the Saxons again. Just a thought tho'. Feel free to spell as you wish. Transliterations are anyway a silly necessity. And AFAIK you need no image readjustment (tho I see you did just that recently ;-0 )

RE buggy pants - try some 100% cotton chef pants - they come pretty cheap and in the worst case can be used as pajamas. My work pants can pass for dress pants if you don't look too close (and they're not too dirty). Gun pants are also good, but those are heavy, man. You don't wanna wear them in the summer.

I don't eat cocoa chulent, but I have a recipe for a German choclate cake with **some** hot peppers. Actually it's a mole made of the more 'sharp' peppers with less flavor, so it creates a diffusion feeling similar to mint. If you keep the correct ratios it's delicious.

As for that Stegrosaur... I completely forgot about him. I mean his name. I thought/misremembered the "two brainer" was the T-Rex or something similar who supposedly used it for balance (I think the Stegrosaur walks on four?). I guess I was reading an outdated book. Or they just left it in cos it sounded good. Could be just my obsession with Rock bands tho - I guess T-Rex have two brains (between 'em all, I mean:-) ).

7/30/2007 9:54 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

The Gaelic languags had very little influence on English. Our "J"s come from Latin.

Right, in Irish |c| represents the /k/ sound. sometimes it gets softened to |ch| (כ), just like in Hebrew. Irish has a בג"ד כפ"ת system like Hebrew, although the values differ. For instance, |th| isn't pronounced "s", "th", "t" or "d" like it is in various dialects of Hebrew -- it's pronounced "h". I actually constructed an Irish-style Hebrew pronunciation for a [Jewish] friend of mine of Irish decent.

Spicy chocolate... i got a spicy chocolate bar once.

7/30/2007 3:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home