Thursday, December 29, 2005

Who Knew Tim Rice Was So Zionistic?

From Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat:
(lyrics by Tim Rice, music by Andrew Lloyd Webber)

Close Every Door
(the Yoseif-in-Jail song)


Close every door to me,
Hide all the world from me,
Bar all the windows
And shut out the light;
Do what you want with me,
Hate me and laugh at me,
Darken my daytime
And torture my night;

If my life were important I
Would ask,
Will I live or die?
But I know the answers
Lie far from this world.

Close every door to me,
Keep those I love from me,
Children of Israel are never alone —
For I know I shall find
My own peace of mind,
For I have been promised
A land of my own.
    Close every door to me,
    Hide all the world from me,
    Bar all the windows
    And shut out the light—
Just give me a number
Instead of my name;
Forget all about me
And let me decay.
I do not matter —
I'm only one person;
Destroy me completely,
Then throw me away.

If my life were important I
Would ask,
Will I live or die?
But I know the answers
Lie far from this world.

Close every door to me,
Keep those I love from me,
Children of Israel are never alone —
For we know we shall find
Our own peace of mind,
For we have been promised
A land of our own!


Btw, just wondering, at the risk of DiqduqGeekification, how do yall pronounce the English version of the Hebrew name יוסף?
Joe-siff or Joe-ziff?
I think I've always said Joe-siff, and remember being a bit confused when I noticed people pronouncing "Joseph" with a Z-sound. Could it be Hebrew influence of the samekh in "Yoseif"? Or an internal English dialect difference?

9 Comments:

Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

interwoqaliq woicing

1/01/2006 9:55 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Well, yes, it is intervocalic voicing, but i don't think that's an active process in 21st-century American English. /s/ and /z/ have been split into separate phonemes for hundreds of years already, just like /f/ and /v/, and [the more marginal] /þ/ and /ð/.

1/01/2006 9:59 PM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

/s/ and /z/ have been split into separate phonemes for hundreds of years already

I think that that's far less true for /s/ and /z/ than for any of the other pairs. How do you pronounce the first "s" in the word "houses"? etc.

1/01/2006 10:02 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Houzes.

Right. Intervocalic voicing.

But the question is, why do some people (me included) not intervocalicly voice the S in "Joseph"?

1/01/2006 10:05 PM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

But the question is, why do some people (me included) not intervocalicly voice the S in "Joseph"?

Hebrew influence?

But the real question is, why do some people not intervocalicly voice the S in "houses"?

1/01/2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

intervocalically

1/01/2006 10:13 PM  
Blogger Phillip Minden said...

But the question is, why do some people (me included) not intervocalicly voice the S in "Joseph"?

Hebrew influence?



Hebrew influence might play a rôle, but don't forget the s isn't simply intervocalic, it's also syllyblyynytiyl after a long vowel (or diphthong these days, at least South of Scotland). And it looks to me as if those were not (necessarily?) changed to /z/. But I'm not sure about this, I'm not an Anglicist.

So we'd have two irreconcilable sinews, and behold - we have both variants.


But the real question is, why do some people not intervocalic[al]ly voice the S in "houses"?

System conformity with the singular? Or the same reason as above.



i don't think that's an active process in 21st-century American English.

That would be relevant only if the word entered English now, wouldn't it?

1/02/2006 5:59 AM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Yoisif oyf English? Joe-zuf.
Oyf Ollandish: Yo-zuf.

1/03/2006 3:56 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

finally, a non-diqduq comment on this post! :-)

ZSTA:

heh, good reading. contextually, though, he's talking ironically about getting thrown in prison. as in "sure, you can do all this horrible stuff to me, but i have hope because i have a Dream"

1/08/2006 2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home