Wednesday, January 18, 2006

But He Was Still... TROGDOR!

Strong Bad Email #58, Homestar Runner:
TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!
Trogdor was a man
I mean, he was a dragon man
Er, maybe he was just a dragon
But he was still TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

Burninating the countryside
Burninating the peasants
Burninating all the peoples
In their thatched roof COTTAGES!
THATCHED ROOF COTTAGES!

TROGDOR!
TROGDOR!

And the Trogdor comes in the NIIIIIGHT!

Unfortunately, everyone's favorite blogging musical doctor, Psycho Toddler (not to be confused with the psycho toddler, his youngest daughter), is in New York City because his father (Eliezer ben Perel) had some serious surgery.

Fortunately, that gave us a chance to meet up after a few previous attempts had failed! So we went to meet and eat at すし・メツヤン in Queens. Amshi would be so proud. But we didn't have sashimi, because that's a little too extreme. And I had this crazy oversized sushi roll with three kinds of fish and three kinds of vegetables and unfortunately the menu didn't mention that it includes cucumber. Anyway, in attempting to maneuver this oversized monster of a sushi roll slice with chopsticks, I accidentally scooped up almost a teaspoon's worth of wasabi and shoved it also into my mouth. And suddenly wondered why it tasted like Pesahh. And why I had no water. Yes, I'm hardcore. No, I am not interested in doing that again.

So we talked about how small 'out of town' communities are good, and more people should move there, but how annoying it can be when you live in a community where everyone else thinks you're weird for not fitting into their exact religio-social category. And we talked about our relatives. And the ethics of meeting anonymous or pseudo-anonymous bloggers. And New York drivers. And afterwards we had a long conversation about computer, video, table-top, and live action RPGs. And I'm pretty sure I heard him say "cwap" at least once.

In short, Doctor Skee-yay, it was an honor to meet you. May your father have a refu’a sheleima beqarov.

23 Comments:

Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Thanks for taking several hours out of your life to take all those subway lines to Queens so I wouldn't have to eat sushi by myself. It was a pleasure to meet you. And I had a good laugh when you ate all that wasabi.

I did indeed say cwap more than once. It has become second nature to me.

BTW I think you should start a feature called "Sushi with Steg" and meet random bloggers and report on them.

But no, I am not having Fudge lift that restraining order.

1/20/2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

But... but... but Doc, it was only a really really small broadsword, i swear! I don't know what she was so upset about!

1/20/2006 11:30 AM  
Blogger Shifra said...

Happy (belated) Trogday to you Steg.

I like the Sushi with Steg idea alot. You should really consider it as a regular feature.

1/20/2006 12:15 PM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Shifra, I just should point out that although Steg says that he likes sushi, I'm not sure that he really does. He seems very picky about it. That may come as a surprise to all you regular Steg readers.

1/20/2006 1:35 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I'm only picky about sushi because people insist on sticking cucumber nastiness in so many different varieties. If they'd just leave out the cucumber, i'd be a sushi-eating machine!

1/20/2006 1:59 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Shifra:

Does that mean that you're volunteering to be the next Special Guest?

1/20/2006 3:25 PM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

You have a thing about cucumbers?

Recipe: peel, deseed, and chop a cucumber. Mix with equal parts lime juice, water, and amber fish sauce from Thailand, and enough sugar to give it the sweetness you desire (the proportion is about half that of the lime juice).

Let it stand half an hour at least, and serve as a small side dish or relish with Indonesian food. S'lamat makan!
- - - - - - - - - - -

Or, as an alternative, if you DON'T like cucumbers (is such a thing even possible?!?!), the same thing can be done with carrots, or luobak, or snips, or even tomatoes and onions.

1/20/2006 8:08 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

if you DON'T like cucumbers (is such a thing even possible?!?!)

Oh, yes, such a thing is very much so possible.

1/21/2006 6:49 PM  
Blogger Shifra said...

My husband doesn't like cucumbers either!

And yes, Email me and we'll set it up Jersey-style!

1/21/2006 7:49 PM  
Blogger Shifra said...

PS I love cucumbers but I'm not going all the way to Thailand for fish sauce!

1/21/2006 7:50 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I hear there's another すし・メツヤン in Teaneck; those are a bit expensive, though... you can get sushi at Pizza C(r)ave, though. :-P

1/21/2006 8:00 PM  
Blogger Shifra said...

Sushi in pizza shops is never good- we'll figure something out... and which is it BTW cave or crave?
It's like one of those Kri u'kteve's in the torah... Al tikre Cave ela Crave!
Very confusing.

1/22/2006 10:01 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

I think Pizza Cave (in Manhattan) and Pizza Crave used to be the same company, but maybe then they broke up so the one in Teaneck changed its name.

1/22/2006 12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pizza Cave?? PIZZA CAVE??? Why Steg not tell Cro Magnon about this place??

1/22/2006 11:57 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Cro Magnon Sushi Eater:

Pizza cave too small, and too warm inside. I've seen some hot caves, but this Pizza Cave is rediculous. You could cook a whole saber-toothed tiger in there (if it wasn't so small).

Made out of brick, too. Those nouveau-riche faux caves...

1/23/2006 8:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm...cave probably have flat floor too...

1/23/2006 11:12 AM  
Blogger The back of the hill said...

Shifra,

You can find Thai style amber fish sauce at almost any Chinese store - especially one that caters to Viets, Indos, Philippinos, etcetera.

Stay away from the Malay and Phillipino products - they tend to explode (fermentation continues).

Steg,

Guided a friend to your site (he receives the Strong Bad e-mails). He thinks that your having the Trogdor poem up there is fantastic.

I think the same.

1/23/2006 5:29 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

The Back of the Hill:

Don't thank me, thank PomestarTunner!

1/23/2006 5:35 PM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Sushi with Steg... :) Heh - ya know, I'm just about 3 minutes from ??????. Funny, I'll be meeting another blogger for the first time later this week at the same place. Of course, I'm paying, because I lost a bet...

1/23/2006 6:43 PM  
Blogger Shifra said...

Back of the hill-
What kinda hasgacha would I find on asian products like that?

1/24/2006 9:29 PM  
Blogger Phillip Minden said...

Chances are, Chabad.

They go there to save Israeli souls, and maybe convert some locals, but as they're already there...

1/25/2006 7:31 AM  
Blogger Shira Salamone said...

Never mind the sushi, and as for wasabi, you're talkin' to a gal who goes Sefardi for the seder--just pass the romaine lettuce, please, and spare me the horseradish-induced choking fit. (Endive is better--it's more bitter, and it doesn't make me want to run out into the street in search of a firetruck.) But the Punster and I will be happy to join any blogger round-up as long as we can get salmon teriyaki, instead. :) Count us in!

1/30/2006 7:41 PM  
Blogger rabbi neil fleischmann said...

nice post. refuah sheleimah.

2/07/2006 8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home