Saturday, March 11, 2006

זכור את אשר עשה לך אינטרנט

Quick Saturday Night post:

Mar Gavriel stayed by me for Shabbos.

Friday Night we went to a Carlebach minyan in someone's apartment, and I remembered why I can't stand Carlebach minyans. And this was a very well done Carlebach minyan — which just meant that I could stand it even less. Shrug, it's just not my aesthetic. Long stretches of nai nai nai nai without words is not my thing. I like singing, as long as it's singing the words. And clapping? Bleah. Not my goat. If you're into that, though, go for it!

Anyway, Saturday Day me and Gavriel were walking to where we were going to eat lunch after shul, and this woman randomly accosts us and says that she reads our blogs! If you're reading this, I'm sorry I was a bit shocked and forgot to be polite and introduce myself. I hope you had a good Shabbos, and feel free to comment (if you haven't been doing so already)!

10 Comments:

Blogger Lab Rab said...

Ah, but the real question is ... single or married?

3/12/2006 1:04 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

probably married.

3/12/2006 10:27 AM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Yeah. Wasn't she wearing a sheitel?

3/12/2006 10:40 AM  
Blogger Shifra said...

How funny! Well that's what you get for sticking your face on your blog!
Mar G's long beard must have given him away...

Not your goat?
That's a new one on me!

3/12/2006 6:44 PM  
Blogger Elie said...

I'm exactly like you in terms of Carlbach-style singing. I like a good tune iff it fits the words. The "nai-nai-nai"s are just a "frummer" version of repeating words, which I can't stand.

Happy Purim!

3/13/2006 11:00 AM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Our Friday-night experience was really a Davven Inn.

3/13/2006 12:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't like Qarlebahh dawening. But maybe the sound that you spell "nai" is actually the word "nigh" and is a ref to the coming of Moshiahh.

But serially (honest), folks, you know when "nigh nigh nigh" really annoys me? When someone's dawening Shabbat Mussaf and they do Qedushah in sing-along mode, and someone wants to sing along without repeating himself, so he shouts "nigh nigh" so loud that you can't hear the shaliahh.

*That's* when "nigh" annoys me and gets me into thinking what I hope the end is. At least the end of the dawening.

3/13/2006 3:36 PM  
Blogger Phillip Minden said...

Oh, but you know how this chsidic scat was invented?

The rebbe somewhere died, and his disciples were asking each other sobbingly "Why did 'e die, did 'e die, did 'e die?! Why did 'e die, did 'e die, did 'e die?!".

This was misunderstood to be music by a passer-by.

(c) someone else

3/14/2006 8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And the origin of another niggunical and/or niggunary lyric: "Pishhu li shayrei tzedek, ***ovoy vom***....

3/14/2006 1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry, I misspelled my own name.

3/14/2006 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home