Monday, March 20, 2006

Megilla Meme

RenReb (») DovBear » LabRab » GoblinKing...
(hey, i needed a two-word doubly-capitalized name!)

Things I Thought About During The Megilla Reading:
(not in order)
    NIGHT

  • Wait, MG, you want me to gabbai-check you?
  • Damn it's hot under the lights up here on the bima...
  • Maybe if I scan ahead a few words I can take off my coat!
  • I feel somewhat uncomfortable up here in my half-done costume.
  • If he neighs the word סוס like a crazed bronco again I am so losing control...
  • Whoops, there he goes again; pause until I stop ROTFL, nu?!
  • Ahhashveirosh was a sick freak.
  • I wonder what these JTS people think of Ahhashveirosh's anti-feminist decree? Well, they are in the mehhitza-minyan...
  • יושב בשער המלך = 'government court official', as taught by a high school Tanakh teacher (probably based on Da‘at Miqra’)
  • I should memorize this ומרדכי יצא line, since it's different than the song.
  • Stop thinking about double entendres involving the functioning of the Persian royal court!
  • Okay, gotta get ready to start making a Simpsons 'Nelson laugh' when Haman (boo!) gets what's coming to him!
  • Whoops, missed the first 'Haman gets what's coming to him' use of his name...
  • I wonder what Zeresh thought of Haman's "ohavav".
  • According to some translations, לתלות means 'to impale', not 'to hang'. Which is more disgusting? And which is more disgusting to imagine Haman's 10 sons put up together on a single עץ of?

    MORNING

  • Some of these kids are really good... some of them are not.
  • I am so not fulfilling my requirement with this reading.
  • Why won't these students just shut up already?
  • Better stop using random pieces of wood to bang Haman's name, the students might get ideas...
  • Is this costume pseudo-tallis falling off my shoulders because I'm not wearing a jacket, or because it's not actually a tallis?
  • Last night's reading was way more exciting... when will this one end?

    AFTERNOON

  • I feel like such a loser, needing the megilla read for me again.
  • I hope the guy reading doesn't mind.
  • The trop is a lot simpler this time, but I don't mind because I want to get back to the se‘uda!
  • I hope the reader isn't intimidated by LabRab and all his relatives correcting him by heart every time he makes a mistake!
  • I probably should make a little noise at Haman's name, even if it's unimportant.
  • Maybe I could learn to lein the megilla, too!

8 Comments:

Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

*big smile*

It's still Adhār-- and as we get closer to Nisān, our שמחה gets even greater and greater. After all, Rashi comments on the line משנכנס אדר מרבין בשמחה:

"ימי נסים היו לישראל, פורים ופסח".

So, as long as we're still headed towards the neis of Pesahh, we're still covered by מרבין בשמחה.

Now, in an attempt to increase my productivity, I have decided not to read any blogs, excluding those of three people whom I know personally, namely you, LabRab, and BlackHerring. I have also decided not to use instant messaging any more, at least for the time being. I shall continue to update my own blog periodically, though perhaps not with as much frequency as until now.

3/21/2006 12:39 AM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

יושב בשער המלך = 'government court official', as taught by a high school Tanakh teacher (probably based on Da‘at Miqra’)

Have you ever heard the argument that the historical Mordokhai was an accountant in the courts of Daryāvesh and Ahhashvērōsh?

3/21/2006 12:55 AM  
Blogger Lab Rab said...

If he neighs the word סוס like a crazed bronco again I am so losing control...

If you weren't mentally prepared for that you clearly haven't spent enough time with HaGaon MG. Not that that's a bad thing ... ;)

Stop thinking about double entendres involving the functioning of the Persian royal court!

???

Maybe I could learn to lein the megilla, too!

Sure, why not? Let me know if I can help.

3/21/2006 9:39 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

MG:

I've heard that a number of people named with derivations of "Marduk" are found in the records of the Persian Empire at that time.

LR:

«coughcough»

3/21/2006 12:51 PM  
Blogger Lab Rab said...

«coughcough»

I see.

On second thought, maybe it would have been better if I hadn't asked ... ;)

3/21/2006 1:07 PM  
Blogger thanbo said...

double entendres on the functioning of the Persian court

have you read Debbie's Purim Torah on this?

3/21/2006 4:21 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

LabRab:

Well, let me just repeat: Ahhashveirosh was a sick freak :-P .

Thanbo:

Yes i have! And there was a hint there above when I wondered about the relationship between Zeresh and the people described as Haman's אוהביו

3/21/2006 5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I wonder what Zeresh thought of Haman's "ohavav"."

lol. awesome

3/30/2006 4:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home