Thursday, April 27, 2006

A-Z Meme

(tagged by Shifra, who grabbed it out of the æther)

ACCENT:
N'Yawk, particularly strong when using words like Brooklyn or anything with an "aw" [ʷɔ̹ːə̯] ([_wO_O:@_^]) sound, such as cʷawffee, tʷawk, or dʷawg. I am also a proud user of the sound [eǝ] (that's as in Mary, not merry or marry) in words like air, ale, grass, half, and ran. However, I do use y'all instead of the more proper non-'redneck'-sounding you-all or you-guys. But I pronounce it like a proud N'yawka — yʷawll.
I also have some idiolectal features not typical of all New Yorkers, such as not devoicing Ls after voiceless consonants. You may not know what I'm talking about, but, like my friends in middle school, you can probably tell that there's something wrong with how I say close the door. I also heavily swallow many other Ls, such as the L between vowels in the name Alan.
My Hebrew accents would take a whole post of their own.

BOOZE:
Almost all alcohol tastes like burning to me.
The ones I can stand the most are very sweet stereotypical Jewish wines like Kedem's Málaga, and 'dessert wines' like Moscato [D'Asti?]. The closest I get to liking beer is hard cider.

CHORE I HATE:
Anything involving heavy scrubbing.

DOGS:
Not allergic to them like I am to cats, but they make me uncomfortable. Way too nosy around certain 'private' regions of the human body.

ESSENTIAL ELECTRONICS:
Cell phone (before I got one, though, I thought they were decadent playthings of the rich and wanted nothing to do with them)
Internet access

FAVORITE PERFUME/COLOGNE:
I like walking through the perfume section of department stores, but can't stand most scents at close quarters or high intensity. I prefer unscented deoderant, and use baby powder instead of bathroom air fresheners.

GOLD & SILVER:
I wear my keys around my neck on a vaguely silver-colored dogtag-like chain made for lamp pull-cords.

HOMETOWN:
Spring Valley (NOT MONSEY!). Long Island. Borough Park. Upstate New York. Valley of the Aboriginal Ghosts. Upper Manhattan.

INSOMNIA:
I find it impossible to sleep when there's too much artificial light or noise going on. Neighbors who play musical instruments drive me particularly batty.

JOB TITLE:
High School Jewish Studies Teacher (looking for a new job for next year)

KIDS:
Not yet, but if one day in the future you encounter a beautiful Jewish girl named תְּנוּבִיאֵל, it's all my fault.

LIVING ARRANGEMENTS:
Apartment with apartmentmates [who show no interest in blogs].

MOST ADMIRED TRAIT:
That I Admire: Quick "on your feet" Thinking
That Others Admire About Me: Easygoingness

NUMBER OF SPEED DIALS IN PHONE:
None

OVERNIGHT HOSPITAL STAYS:
None so far

PHOBIA:
Claustro-. I'm not actually scared of small spaces, but if I'm confined in a position in which I can't move for a long time (stuck in the back of a car, for instance) my limbs start to rebel and spasm of their own accord.

QUOTE:
"Can't we all just get along?"

RELIGION:
Jewish. Orthodox. Center-Left-Leaning MO. Dati ‘Olami. Generally Rationalistic, with "Indigenous" trends. God is a Trickster Deity. Barukh... shekakha lo be‘olamo.

SIBLINGS:
One older twin brother
(i'm the good twin)

TIME I USUALLY WAKE UP:
5:00am, if I can help it

UNUSUAL TALENT:
Whistling that sounds like "scary alien bees" (to quote a friend)

VEGETABLE I REFUSE TO EAT:
Tomato. Cucumber. Eggplant.
(they loved me in Israel)

WORST HABIT:
Procrastination

X-RAYS:
The new dentist I've been going to does digital ones.

YUMMY FOODS I MAKE:
Eggs with cheese and tomato sauce. Tofu vegetable stir-fry (ah those hippy days in Israel). 101 variations on the college kosher dining hall sugar cookie recipe.

ZODIAC SIGN:
Taurus (Year of the Rooster)

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no tomatos, cucumbers, eggplants???!!!!!!???

you're insane man. Literally insane. I always thought you were the crazy one of the jblogs, but now I know for sure. You should be drummed out of Israel :)

4/27/2006 11:33 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

"should be drummed out of Israel"?

Why do you think my profile says formerly of the Valley of the Aboriginal Ghosts, Israel?

;-)

4/27/2006 11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh God, now I have to ask. I always wanted to but was to nervous. What is the Valley of the Aborginal Ghosts?

4/28/2006 12:11 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Aboriginal Ghosts

4/28/2006 12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool, somehow I never got that you teach in a Jewish school. Do they pay well in New York? The ones here pay ok but the bennies are pretty weak compared to what we get in public schools.

And keep me away from the scary alien bees- although it would come in handy when reading the story of Sampson to my kids.

Fun post!

4/28/2006 12:40 AM  
Blogger Natan said...

Where on Emek did you used to live? I was there 2001-2002 on Yehoshua Ben-Nun right where Cafe Hillel is now.

4/28/2006 12:56 AM  
Blogger Ezzie said...

Hey, my FIL just got a new job. You should go where he's going - they pay well. (Or at least they'll be paying him well...)

4/28/2006 8:49 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Amishav:

The pay varies widely among the different schools in the New York / New Jersey area.

Natan:

It's not that i lived on ‘Eimeq Refa’im Street, i lived in the valley of ‘Eimeq Refa’im itself (which the street is in). I lived in a few places, but one of them was on top of the former Kosher Pizza Hut at the corner of Rahheil Imeinu.

Ezzie:

Congratulations! Could you email me with more details?

4/28/2006 9:11 AM  
Blogger Elie said...

I love your answer to "K"!! Never noticed how "Tinúviel" sounded like it could be a Hebrew name. Cool.

I wanted to call my daughter "Lúthien" but for some reason my wife didn't agree...

4/28/2006 9:18 AM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Elie:

Thanks! Another good Tolkienic Hebrew name is אֱלִיעַלְחֶנְאֵל, i.e. my strength is [based/dependent] on the grace of God, based on a character name on ElendorMUSH that really has something to do with rainbows and other Eldarin-liked things.

I like theophoric names in general, like שמריהו, יעקבאל, יהוצחק, as well as Ashkenazic bilingual Hebrew-Yiddish names like אריה־לייב, דב־בער, טובה־גיטל, זאב־וואלף.

4/28/2006 9:27 AM  
Blogger Mar Gavriel said...

Ashkenazic bilingual Hebrew-Yiddish names like אריה־לייב, דב־בער, טובה־גיטל, זאב־וואלף

How about יששכר חמור־אייזל, or דן נחש־שלאַנג, or נפתלי צבי־הירש, or...

4/28/2006 11:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ya'akov'el means you're pagan (not that there's anything wrong with that..)

i like yehotsachak a lot, but that kid definitely needs an english name.

"shemaiyah" is wonderful, as well.

4/28/2006 12:14 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

MG:

No, I will not name anyone Nahhash-Schlong. That's just wrong.

BB:

What pagan?
Yehotzahhaq's English name could be.... Tzachi! :-P

4/28/2006 1:18 PM  
Blogger PsychoToddler said...

Never serve Steg cucumber sushi.

5/01/2006 4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I say y'awll too!

Where are you looking to be teaching for next year? Why?

--sarah barefoot

5/07/2006 1:32 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Sarah Barefoot (!!!! heya!):

i'll email you

5/08/2006 8:59 PM  
Blogger Babka said...

Hey, does 'knows all the words to 'Rubber tires never break' count as an unusual talent?

5/09/2006 5:24 PM  
Blogger Steg (dos iz nit der šteg) said...

Chavaleh:

Maybe!

Rubber tires never break...
It's a shame that a peach is not in the shape of a plum...
Bear-shooting is illegal in the state of Idaho...
And the rivers
Are overflowing
With hyenas!

5/09/2006 5:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home